Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Give me a taste of what's to come

Slim and I went to San Francisco yesterday and played around and it was so cool. I really can't wait to be there. I realized I've been to UCSF 4 times since school ended. I really can't stay away.

Food:
Brekkie = caffeine! And an egg with bacon and sharp cheddar cheese. I've made one square of Canadian Black Diamond Cheddar last for like weeks now. It's so sharp I only need a very small amount to flavor everything.
Slim called me at 11 am and was like "Do you want to go to San Francisco?" Of course! I can't stay away. Even though it's only like 9 days until I get the new keys!
We went to Cheeseboard for lunch and had:


This beautiful pizza. Roma tomatoes, asiago and mozzarella? cheese, garlic olive oil and herby goodness. I also had the Cheeseboard salad for the first time:


I learned I do not like drinking straight balsamic vinegar which is what the dressing was like and I do not like the stuff in mixed green salad that looks like grass. I ate most of the greens, the goat cheese and the cucumber though.
After, Slim and I went to a little confiserie off of Hayes (near the TimBuk2) and bought tiny, tiny chocolates:


The super dark one was perfect and the earl grey one was... interesting. We went to the inner sunset and I bought the best thing for my sister at Wishbone (I'm not going to say what it is, in case she reads this!). Then we hiked up Mt. Sutro to get to my new place. THAT was a hike. More about that later!
Once we came down the mountain we went to Rainbow Grocery and proceeded to buy a bunch of items that ended up terrible. I bought:


and Slim bought:



and they were both terrible! Mine tasted like gross fermented beer-like product (which it was) and Slim's tasted ok but it had chunks of aloe vera pulp in it which made it have just a disgusting texture. DRINK FAIL. I also bought some bananas for us to share but they were too ripe and when I bit into it, it sucked all the moisture out of my mouth and was also very, very wrong. Luckily, before we tucked into the disgustingness we had gone to Humphry Slocombe for delicious ice cream:


Chocolate with smoked sea salt and hot fudge. Won. der. ful. and one scoop was just enough.
Eventually we drove home and I finished the day off with:


The leftover chicken from yesterday and creamed spinach. Green! The spinach was actually really good even though it was frozen and I just cooked it quickly in the microwave.

Exercise:
No walking in Davis today but Slim and I definitely hiked all around my new place in San Francisco. We only walked about 2 miles but I was exhausted by the time we got back to the car. In order to get from UCSF to my new apartment you have to climb 0.7 miles straight uphill (I believe I've mentioned this before) and it was just as terrible as I remembered. You start out by climbing up a billion steps which I only took pictures of on the way down because I was too busy dying on the way up. Then you hike about 0.5 miles to Aldea Student Housing and then you have to go all the way through student housing to get to my apartment on the far side.


Up the path. Dying, dying, dying.


See that stop sign that's just a bare blip in the middle? We had to hike up and past that.


Then up this pathway which was nearly vertical and I had to worry about Slim's old war wounds making her calves explode. I didn't have any such excuse but my calves also wanted to explode out of my legs.


Yeah! The end was in sight.


My place! We were happy until we realized that we had to go back the way we came. Then we sat down on the pavement and cried.


Slim took a photo of me posing in front of Sutro Tower to prove we'd really been there. I am really that super pale in person, just in case I ever get any readers who don't know me IRL.


It was gorgeous though with the sun coming down through the trees.


Here are some pics of that devil stairway. I made Slim take a picture of me like every 3 steps because it winds up the hillside and I wanted to show just how terrible it is.






Finally the end! Thank God! And I have to traverse that every day. Slim had to unfold me from the fetal position by the time we were through. I was sucking my thumb and crying for my mommy. No lie! I think this hill was like childbirth because I got home and went "I could do it again." It was like I completely forgot the pain.

Can school start now please? Pretty please?

No comments:

Post a Comment