Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

I won't be afraid, just as long as you stand, stand by me

We said goodbye to James' Uncle Dennis yesterday and I agree with James that it was probably the happiest wake I've ever been to. He had Glioblastoma multiforme IV and his condition had degenerated within the last 8 months to the point where his brain was simply shutting down and firing neurons off all over the place so it was in some ways a blessing in that he wasn't suffering anymore.

He was an active, strong man who loved James' Aunt Donna so much. They found each other after previous marriages and their wedding was one of the first things I went to with James as a couple. Their love for each other was always evident and I hope that if I'm ever in that situation with James I have as much courage as Aunt Donna did to take care of him until the end. They only had about 8 years with each other and that really reminded me to enjoy every minute with James. Love him every day and relish the time we have together because you never know when it could be cut short. Even if I had the next 60 years with James, it wouldn't be enough so it's heartbreaking that Aunt Donna had such a short time with Dennis. I know there's the flip side of that: Be grateful for the time you did have but I would be so angry. Aunt Donna was beautiful and gracious yesterday, caring for other people who were grieving over Dennis. She's an amazing woman.

Even though he was sick at our wedding, he still danced with Aunt Donna and held her.


I am so happy that we got to share that with him.


I love how James' family bands together when things get rough. I love that all his aunts came to Sacramento and circled around Aunt Donna and took care of her. I'm sure that might be frustrating or stifling occasionally but it's something so outside my realm of experience that it really embodies familial love to me. I want my children to have that and I think they might get the chance because James is like that with his siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment