Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer

I'll merge both saturday and sunday into one weekend post because it was a crazy busy weekend! CRAZY BUSY!

On Saturday:
I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and went hiking in Point Lobos with the Chem Club. I want to post some pics of the aquarium later but for right now-
Food:
Ok, so not very good. (In fact, spoiler alert, this whole weekend had a few problems.)
On my way to school I stopped by Tupelo for old times sake and ordered this:


Yes, that's real, delicious whipped cream with shaved valharona chocolate on top. It was nonfat?? (Except for you know- the whipped cream and the chocolate part.)
I packed a nectarine and a granola bar for the trip but the nectarine was over ripe so I threw it away and I burned through the granola bar in like 5 minutes flat while we were hiking. Which means I was in a moment of weakness at The Fish Hopper where we had lunch so I ordered this:


and this:


and got this for free:


My drink was good (and on fire!) but the calamari we got for free weren't that great- a little chewy- so it was easy to push it away after a few pieces. I feel like the seafood pasta was a mistake though. Yes, it had fresh seafood and spinach fettucine noodles but it just wasn't that good. The sauce was soupy and I could barely taste the flavor of the seafood. I felt really sick afterward- like it had put me in a food coma. Slim's looked so much better:


I shouldn't have let my desire to indulge get in the way of a good choice. Slim's was simple but it smelled heavenly and I bet the flavor of the salmon and the spinach really shined through.
I felt so bad after we went to the Aquarium, I thought I must be thirsty so instead of drinking water I drank a sugary soda and then felt even worse. Duh! It was like one bad decision after another.
Finally, I started using a little judgement after we left the Aquarium and went to the Ghiardelli cafe. I bought a water and chugged the whole thing, sipped a single nonfat mocha for some road energy and I bought this cookie:


but I only had a few nibbles while looking out at this:


I drove all 3 hours home and then decided I was actually pretty hungry. I stopped at Nugget and bought a Caesar salad and it's not pretty but here's a picture right before I wolfed it down:


3 minutes later it was in my tummy! It was a good ending to a day filled with so-so choices.

Exercise: 
That was a great part about Monterey! I hiked, climbed on the rocks and walked around the aquarium all day.


I followed everyone on these rocks and up this hill:


and we saw this deer on a trail! More on her later.


So overall, even though I didn't do any formal exercise I did get a workout- my knees and leg muscles were really tired once we'd walked around the Aquarium too.

On Sunday:
Food:
I didn't even learn my lesson after yesterday! I had a cup of coffee and then a handful of:


these pecans while watching TrueBlood with Ro but then I had to hightail it to Billy's graduation. It was 4:30 pm by the time we got out of there and I was famished. Luckily James' parents had a crunchy, perfect braeburn apple right there on the counter for me to devour.


That was enough to tide me over for dinner which was amazing. James' Dad can grill like no other and he made chicken and shrimp plus some really crisp, delicious asparagus and broccoli. I could have eaten the entire pot of veg, they were so good.



The shrimp were the star of the whole meal though. Sweet and meaty- they were what I should have had yesterday.
Afterwards, we had homemade strawberry shortcake for dessert and I ate a mountain of whipped cream. Not fresh, homemade whipped cream but the stuff out of a can. It was still really tasty though and I can't say I really regret that. (Unlike the seafood pasta.)

Exercise:
We walked back from James' parents house but no real exercise. Another 3.2 miler is on the books for tomorrow though! Keep an eye out. (Not literally- that would be gross.)

My final thought: I really really really need to make sure I eat more frequently. Even on the weekend when there are distractions. I'm sure I overate this weekend because I ended up so hungry I'd have eaten my own arm if I could have nibbled it off. There's a lesson tucked in there that I need to learn if I'm going to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment