Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This is my temporary home

One promise for this post: No negativity!

Food:
I made some smoked salmon and french onion laughing cow cheese scrambled eggs this morning and they don't look that good in my pic:


but they were filling and made me feel just a tad bit gourmet. So there!

For lunch, I went out with Kace and her mom and I had a Habit BBQ charburger and a small mint cookie shake from Ben and Jerry's. They kind of came with an epiphany too (bet you didn't know THAT was on the menu at Habit). At Border's afterwards, I was all ready with repercussions for myself. Why didn't I have the salad? Why did I get the ice cream? And then all of a sudden I just told myself to stop and instead of focusing on what I didn't do, to focus on what I did. Yes, I had the hamburger but I didn't have fries and I ate the lettuce and tomato that I usually throw away. Yes, I had the shake but it was a small, made with skim milk and I asked for no whipped cream. And it was really, really, really good. I have to remember, I'm focused on small, manageable, long term change. I can maintain not ordering fries and getting small shakes with skim milk. I can't maintain no ice cream ever or perpetual salads, especially when faced with delicious, delicious alternatives. Plus, I don't want to be the person who can't go out and truly enjoy a meal with friends. So no regrets.

If I was the old me I would probably do one of two things after that meal: a) either go eff it all I screwed up and eat a ton of junk for dinner or b) skip dinner because I ate something "bad" at lunch. Well, I did neither. I made a pork chop and an iceberg salad for dinner instead.


And you know what? I was hungry and it was flavorful, especially the peppery pork chops I bought pre-marinated from Nugget.

Exercise:
Not quite as I planned. I had intended to walk 3.2 miles today with the husband but he bailed after 1/2 mile (necessarily I assure you) so I ended up walking alone without my iPod. Just me and my thoughts. Scary! I decided a little into it that I felt like jogging so I jogged a few bouts. I probably went for fewer than 100 strides and I probably ran less than 5 intervals but I just listened to my body. I felt like jogging, so I did and then I'd rest until I felt like I could go again. Eventually my knees and shins told me to take it easy so I finished up at 2.4 miles in about 45 minutes. And funny enough for each of my running spurts I ran from the darkness into the light. Fitting?

Also, I discovered that I can scream quite loud when scared by a very small, probably very frightened bunny in the foliage alongside the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment