Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Put down your blazing gun

As promised- my feelings on High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).

So with this whole eating less processed food idea one of the ingredients I will be looking for on nutrition labels will be HFCS because it is a highly processed ingredient; it will kind of be an indicator of whether something is more processed than I want to eat. It doesn't necessarily mean I won't eat that item, for example the blueberry cranberry sorbet I had last night is a good choice because it satisfies a dessert craving, has few ingredients and contains berry puree. I eat Oroweat Triple Health bread which doesn't contain HFCS but it has a pretty long list of ingredients I couldn't pronounce if I wasn't a chemist because it has a nutritional profile I like (high fiber, Omega 3 fatty acids). Though I consider it a medium processed food, I still buy it because a) I like the way it tastes and how I feel after I eat it and b) I am not going to spend hours in the kitchen making bread (that wouldn't have that much fiber in it) everytime I want a piece of bread. Conversely, I really like Hagen-Das' Five ice cream line because it tastes really delicious and it only has five ingredients: milk, cream, sugar, eggs and coffee (if you happen to be eating the coffee one). However, I know that even though it is what I would call minimally processed, it's not exactly like a pint of ice cream a day fits into a healthy lifestyle.

So I'm going to use that word all healthy living blogs use: moderation. I'm going to eat HFCS foods I'm sure, but I'd going to do it in moderation. I'm going to eat non-HFCS foods too, in moderation. Because moderation is what healthy lifestyle change is all about.

An additional note on HFCS- I don't think I like it (or hydrogenated oils) much anyway. I'll choose a glass of juice over soda and butter over margarine any day. The real thing is so much more satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment