Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

When that whole mad season comes around

It is sooooooo hot in Sac today. OMG! Why am I not hanging out in my apartment in SF today where the high was 63 degrees? In contrast, the high here today was 103 degrees. 103. Kill me now.

I totally had an interesting thing happen re: food today. Around 5 pm I was trying to cool myself off with an icy cold bath and thinking on what to make for dinner. All of a sudden I had a terrible craving for Kettle Chips Baked BBQ chips and chocolate chip ice cream. I tried to convince myself that something else would do, maybe something green but myself was having none of it! "ME WANT ICE CREAM. ME WANT BBQ CHIPPIES!!!" myself cried. Well, I thought about it and kind of determined that the baked BBQ chips and a bowl of ice cream wouldn't hurt me, especially since it's like 1000 degrees and I was unlikely to cook anything else for dinner. High in sodium sure and definitely not the best for me but I wasn't going to freak out and get guilty, I'd deal with it.
Well, I got to Safeway and as I was browsing around I picked up some oranges and spinach and grapes. By the time I got to the chips and realized they didn't have my Baked BBQ chips I wasn't really that perturbed. The craving had been very specific, I didn't want just any baked BBQ chips so it was easy to just shrug and go "oh well." I did get some ice cream but I only had a small bowl (less that 1 cup) so all in all- not bad. I was kind of proud of myself for craving the greens and fruit once I was actually in the store.

Food:
For breakfast- NO COFFEE! It was terrible and I'll never be able to live without coffee again. Unfortunately, my beans are in SF and I am here and I HATE preground coffee, especially the giant canister stuff James loves. Also, we had no creamer so the coffee was just not meant to be. Instead I had:


Fiber One cottage cheese with the Valdosta Pecans (and dried cranberries which are in the mix). I love Fiber One products, especially their cottage cheese.
Around 1 pm, I was hungry so I made:


A delicious chicken wonton soup with tons of frozen veggies. It was basically chicken stock with green beans, peas, zucchini and a few garlic chicken wontons. It was really good but kind of hot for the weather. I wonder if this would taste good as a chilled soup? I would definitely make it again in SF though.


As per above, I ate this delicious, delicious ice cream and I don't feel one ounce of remorse for it.
Finally for dinner, I made some stir fry beef and green beans.


I'm kind of feeling on a green bean kick for some reason lately, even though usually I hate green beans and really will only eat them if there's no broccoli, brussels sprouts or zucchini I can eat instead.

Exercise:
None, it's hard to find motivation when it's 103 outside and by the time it cools down enough to go out, it's dark outside. I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow but that will only last until July 4th when my membership runs out. It was easy (and cool) in SF but not here! I have to find a better way of coping with this.

2 comments:

  1. how did you make the soup? Can you buy the wontons pre-made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some chicken stock and then threw in frozen veggies and the premade wontons. I actually have two kinds of wontons- one I really like and is called chicken cilantro wontons from Trader Joes. I also have some chicken garlic ones I got from Nugget in the frozen food section but I don't like those as much because the garlic is too strong in those ones. :)

    ReplyDelete