Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

We don't talk about it- the little things that we do without

Ah ha! Are you curious about what I ate and how I exercised in the new apartment in SF?
Did you miss me while I was gone?
Who are you?
Who am I?
Please let me know... :)

Food:
This is by no means a comprehensive list from last week but I thought I'd include some of the best stuff:


I ate this burrito with Chuck before I left. Dos Coyotes makes the BEST lite burrito ever. It's essentially just pico de gallo, and grilled chicken in a tortilla. I asked them for some of their fresh roasted corn salsa and they put some on my lettuce and some inside the burrito.


The only thing that could improve this burrito would be a whole wheat tortilla but I don't think the Dos is ready to go that far yet.



I will probably miss Tupelo most of all. It, without a doubt, make the best mocha and the best coffee of any coffee place in Sacramento. I used to think Peets was IT but Tupelo is even better than them. Plus, they had free wi-fi right when I needed it.


Grilling with Chuck again! Fish tacos this time (tilapia) with cabbage and chipotle cream sauce and grilled zucchini and asparagus. I love the BBQ!


This was lunch at Provident Funding, Chuck's work (and my old place of employment for like 3 months). I really like this new kind of lunch- just meat and cheese with veggies- no bread in sight! It's satisfying, it tastes great, and I don't feel bogged down after I've eaten it.


One of my final meals before I left Davis for the new apartment- fresh corn, pasilla chile and feta cheese pizza. I forgot the cilantro this time but remembered the lime and it was ok but the one before with cilantro was better. Nugget's pizza crust is super good.


My first meal in the new place! After forgetting to eat like all day and locking myself out of the apartment as soon as I got in I was famished (and so was James). I did another plate similar to the one I ate with Chuck above. Proscuitto, manchego and Old Amsterdam cheese, fresh grapes, Andronico's beet salad and Andronico's roasted mushroom salad with parmesan. Both of the Andronico's salads were just fine and convinced me I'd be able to survive without a Nugget nearby.


Breakfast both mornings included a lowfat latte made with the espresso machine that wasn't earning it's keep in the Baywood house and toast with Andronico's fresh, all natural peanut butter that's made in store. The toast could have been better- the husband picked white buttermilk bread over a heart healthy bread but the peanut butter was excellent. Not too sweet with no added sugars.



I went to Peasant Pies, as suggested by Slim, the last day I was there, sort of mid-exercise. I got this Basque Beef pie with whole wheat crust and it was pretty good. I won't say it was the most delicious thing I'd ever eaten and it could have used some vegetables but it shored me up to continue on my walk and gave me a destination to walk to.
So that's it for the freshness. I did have a piece of cake with white frosting at the wedding shower (it was a small slice of cake but it had a lot of frosting) and though I thought I might not like it because it would be super sweet, it didn't taste that super sweet so I don't think my tastebuds have completely adapted to a life without sugar yet. I did have a moment of angst at the wedding shower but I'll save that for a different post.

Exercise:
I was actually really successful last week. I walked up the giant hill both days I was in SF. The day I actually arrived I didn't but that's because I was like dead from moving all of our stuff. Before we left for SF, I did the 1st week of C25K Day 1 at the gym and it went really smoothly. I think my lungs could have gone for longer but my legs were protesting and I wanted to be kind to my knees. This was way before I actually thought I would be starting the C25K but it turned out well.
I also walked 3.1 miles the last day in SF (including climbing up the hill). It took me much longer than I'm used to: 1 hour and 20 minutes but that did include the hill where I have to stop every 20 feet to be able to breathe. I also stopped mid walk to buy the Peasant Pie. Even without my big ass hill, the hills in SF are tough. Just walking back to UCSF from 12th and Irving was really tiring. It's going to be awesome living there and getting exercise just by doing my daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment