Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Whew, back to a decent place!

Food:
For brekkie- the last of the slowly dying cantaloupe and some fresh pepper bacon. I'm going to hail this pair as one of the best finds of the summer. I love bacon, I tolerate cantaloupe and together they make a healthy, light breakfast.
Oh and coffee. Sweet, heavenly, nectar of the gods. Also known as wake-up juice!
I was going to have lunch around 1 pm but at 2 pm, the husband looked up and went "Babe, weren't you going to make some lunch." Oh yeah. Right. I got really engrossed in the book I was reading White is Just a State of Mind by Melba Patillo Beals that I totally forgot about my planned pizza. The book was about a member of the Little Rock Nine who integrated Central High School and what happened to her afterwards when she moved to California and struggled with finding her identity. It was NOT my usual kind of book but I really enjoyed it.
Anyway, I threw together this pizza margarita before Slim came over:


Fire-roasted marinara sauce, Nugget whole wheat pizza dough, fresh basil leaves and fresh buffalo mozzarella- yum! I munched on a few baby bell peppers while I was waiting for the pizza to cook:


and then I ate them all! They were sweet and crunchy and usually bell peppers make me burp incessantly which was why I stopped eating whole bell peppers but these were ok and there were no burps on the horizon.
Around 7, I started feeling peckish again so I made this salad:


Red leaf lettuce, Valdosta pecans, fresh goat cheese and American dressing. Best. Salad. Ever. I know I say that with every salad but this was really awesome. (Watch I'll make another salad next week that's the Best. Salad. Ever. I can't help it. It's an addiction. Anyone have a 12-step program for salad addiction?)
After le exercise, I needed some protein so I whipped up some coleslaw and chicken tacos:


You can see I really liked that blue bowl yesterday! I actually ate only about 1/2 the coleslaw because I actually recognized the full feeling and didn't try to shove anymore down. I have to learn that throwing food away is OK. Even if I pay for it. Even if it's perfectly good food that starving children in Africa would be ok eating because if I haven't looked at myself lately... I am NOT a starving African child. If they killed me and cooked up my body they could probably feed 13 starving African babies for a year. But I digress...
I wanted ice cream like a mo fo after this but I tried to explain to myself that I was not hungry and if I couldn't eat all my veggies, I couldn't have any ice cream. Myself then said "I'm a grown up! I can have ice cream if I want. I don't want to eat my veggies! Don't make me go to bed! No! NO! NOOOOO!" Then I put myself down to sleep because I sounded cranky so no ice cream for me.

Exercise:
3.2 miles baaaaaaaby! I told you yesterday I was gonna rock this. I have no idea how long it took me because I forgot to look at my watch when I came back in. The husband walked the whole way with me though and we talked instead of listening to my iPod. He did it barefoot, crazy man. He has really tough feet, I'd be whimpering like a baby after the first block. We even ran a tiny tiny bit at the end but I was hungry and I felt like the tank was on empty so I just walked most of it. I think I feel stronger even after just 6 walks at this length. My knees don't feel as tired and I do get the urge to jog, even if it's just for short spurts.

Today's walk brought to you by:
The sound of the husband's voice and discussions about how nice it will be to be just us in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment